Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to put a stop to annoying ground balls?

Devin, hopefully this will help?

I honestly don't know what I should do, I've lost six games in a row now because everything I hit no matter what things I tried ended up being ground balls all to the short stop of the other team, didn't matter what ball I thought they would throw or how I swung at the ball, every thing I hit the past 6 games was a ground ball right to the short stop. Very aggravating and extremely frustrating.

I hear you. My best batter for the last two Seasons has batted under 200. No HRs and very little RBIs. He has none so far this Season. Ground out city. Even in Rivals he is in a slump as his batting avg just dropped.

Well you need more batting skill. Even with the wookie you are down 7%. I would suggest raising your power a bit, then vision. The reason you are seeing green across the board is your coverage is high, but I am willing to bet that your average pitcher is at least matching you in power if not beating you.

I would train in batting until at least 850, if not 900 skill.

Defense I would go to your lineup and hit the auto arrange if you haven't already. Your players mostly look fine but there are a few things like your RF and LF you have fielding a little high on them and too high coverage on your 2B. Either way once you are done with batting I would train in defense till your ED is at least 95-100

After that I would work on speed a bit more. 3-4 points per player makes a bigly difference.

Then after that more energy (you will need it as you move up) durability (if you feel like you are being injured for too long/too often) and then back to batting.

TL;DR Version = it appears you need more power in your bats.

Quote Originally Posted by joshmeister View Post
    Devin, hopefully this will help?
    It helps quite a bit...

Basics on training:

You need to train defense and your pitching if you are getting beat 0-11. The only skill, other than pitching, that your pitcher needs is defensive throwing. But you've got to train your pitcher quite a bit more. If you look at the boxscores, do they show a lot of stolen bases? If the answer is 'yes', then you need to train the skills that prevent someone stealing against you. Your catcher needs all three defensive skills, primarily Throwing (but don't neglect the cov and fld). Your FB only needs fielding. The same goes for the rest of your infielders. Your outfielders need throwing and coverage, don't waste your time training skills that don't impact the game.

Offensive training:
    Don't worry about training your pitcher's batting skills. If you have to count on the pitcher's bat, the rest of your team let you down. If you want, you can improve the pitcher's bat by giving him/her the rewards from rivals games or your daily bonus. As I've heard mentioned (I believe by Kellie) the only way to prevent hitting into a double play is to hit and run. That's especially true if your opponent has the defensive coach that increases the chance of executing a double play significantly (even if you have the hitting coach that can decrease the chance of hitting into a double play significantly). I believe that's the same coach that eliminates the penalty for guessing the wrong pitch type. All of your bats, except maybe for Buck, can use power and vision. Then as you notice the circle getting a bit smaller, you can add a few points to coverage. But for now I would train your C in nothing but defense until the rest of your bats catch up. If you want to hit and run to avoid hitting into a double play, you'll need to add some speed, just in case you don't make contact with the ball.

These are my recommendations to you. Take them for what they are worth. I'm just a guy with a record of 32499-5051-4427. Wait a minute... I just looked at your record and for your last 10 games you are 8-2? I thought you lost the last 6 games in a row? 8-2 ain't too shabby...

Alchemist, I'm not sure what you are talking about with your first batter always being an out. But maybe you aren't working the count enough... lol. Where is David anyhow? Has he taken a permanent vacation? My first batter usually hits a home run, but occasionally hits a single up the middle. As for problem number 2... I think that was hitting into double plays... no matter how much speed you have, if your opponent has that fielding coach, you will hit into a double play unless you steal. With my fastest runner (81) on first, if I forget to steal, and they've got that coach, 99.9% I hit into a double play. If they don't have that coach anything can happen.

And I play Dynamic batting, automatic isn't as interesting for me, and usually I either just go for a Contact Swing, or a Normal swing, almost never a power swing because I always get fly balls with those.
    I think you might benefit from using the swing type that matches the largest bonus in the pitch type. If a power swing can get you a +10% bonus, why not try the power swing? Honestly, I can't remember the last time I used a normal swing type. And I usually only use contact if the pitcher has me seriously out powered and I just play small ball. Other than that I'm swinging for the fences.

Like the last game I played, my batters where 99% better than the pitcher on the other team, triple up arrows for all my batters, and I still somehow lost 0-11.
    josh - I know the major concern of yours in this thread has been all the ground balls you've been hitting, and you've received some good suggestions on that. You also mentioned in the comment above, that the other team is belting the cover off the ball against you.

Part of that is because some of your defensive training is really out of whack. Especially your 1st baseman (but to be brutally honest, they're all pretty much out of whack a bit). You would do well to take a look at this thread:
    http://forums.wgtsports.com/forums/s...-Each-Position
    It will show you how to optimize your skill levels for defense. Good luck! With some tweaking you can make your defense much more effective.
    Last edited by Fred Sanford; 01-10-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Sorry, just realized BIGD covered most of what I suggested. Oh well, still - follow the link to that thread!

So far today I played 3 9 inning rivals games. I grounded out to short 81 straight times. Not a typo, 81 straight. How can anyone seriously say this game is not completely rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by roy hobbs View Post
    So far today I played 3 9 inning rivals games. I grounded out to short 81 straight times. Not a typo, 81 straight. How can anyone seriously say this game is not completely rigged.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "completely rigged" but yeah the game is a joke. For instance, it is unbelievable the amount of DP going against me by those "Gold Glove Winning" defenses of 150 and 160 ( Mickey Mouse Ds at 9500+ TR) I face most time. Hell my second team currently at 1519 TR has already a 130 D.

It is my opinion that this game's program will do anything in its power to stop you scoring so that you go and buy boosts, chips or anything else you can buy from the game to help you win.

Skills play a part but only to choose who wins and who loose. Example, Team A is better than team B. The game is played and the algorithm will choose among a set of say 25-30 different pre-programmed scenarios in which Team A could win then it wins.
    In LaBudas words "how do I know this?" Well I am so bored with the BS this games throws at me every day that I started an experiment. I played set of 10 rival games against 10 different teams with a set of different skills (Batting-Defense-Pitching) in slow motion, using the slowest pace possible. While the game was running I was writing down what my bats were doing (S for single, DP for double play, HR for a jack, 2B for a double, FR fly to right, etc). Game 2 and game 3 of that series were played identically. My first two bats hit singles then a DP then a strike out, no runs in the seventh (3-inning games) then the 8th inning my 5th bat hit a jack followed by 3 consecutive outs. Both games ended 1-0. Those 2 teams had completely different set skills. One had a good pitcher with good D and the second had pure batting with no D and lower skilled pitcher. A different scenario repeated twice for games 5 and 9.

Also how do you explain that playing against Team A with 2100 bats - 185 D - 240 pitcher you win 1-0 and then next you play against Team B with 1985 bats - 190 D - 210 pitcher and you win 1-0 again. Completely different skills and you win 5 out of 10 games 1-0. No sense at all. The answer I have come up with is the choosing of one of those pre-determinate scenarios. If any of you out there has any other answer or know something I don't please tell me. I am all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by roy hobbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying "completely rigged" but yeah the game is a joke. For instance...

(insert LaBuda-esque tripe here)

If any of you out there has any other answer or know something I don't please tell me. I am all ears.
    smh