Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, is boosting a bad thing or somehow immoral or unethical?

So, is boosting a bad thing or somehow immoral or unethical?

Well, is boosting immoral or unethical?

NO, not really! It all depends on how you use boosts. I have always viewed the boosts that WGT provides as a way to try and level the playing field when you are facing a pitcher and batting lineup that are way above your skill sets to the extent that you are only seeing two and/or three red arrows on the Scouting Report.

When that happens to me in Season competition, I just figure it's a test of my cunning as a team manager. During the Season, you will get an idea of how many runs you are behind this team in a game and where you need to reinforce your batting and pitching skills.

Come Playoff time however, it's a whole different strategy. 1st thing is to Never play that team first. Wait and apply patience and even set an alarm clock to wake you up one hour prior to the end of the Season so that you can see how many runs they have scored against you and determine whether or not it's possible for you to defeat them if you apply batting boosts.

This past Season was a good example for me. My best batter is 238 and my average batter is 225/227 skilled. My best pitcher was a 252 skilled High Power (89 skilled) Fast Ball Pitcher. My opponents batting lineup was an average of 258 skilled batters and a 267 skilled pitcher. The scouting report showed me with 6 x 3-red arrows and 3 x 2 red arrows. Durrent the regular season (unboosted), I was unable to score a run against them. My opponent also has a 230+ Effective Defense. My Effective Defense was 258 but, while that will help me heep their hits low, it won't scrore any runs for me.

In the last Season playoff game, I'm facing them for a 1st-Place challenge match. I patiently wait for them to play their game and they only score 3 runs against me which is what they had done during the regular season against my #2 pitcher (a 2sfb, curve, fork ball pitcher with high Coverage and High Vision skill). Today however those three runs were scored against my 252 skilled pitcher. So, I know I will have to score 4 runs will holding them scoreless to win or 7 runs if they score another 3-runs against me in my home game.

Believe it or not, there is a home team advantage built in to this game. I see that Season after Season. But, anything can happen. After all it is baseball. So in preparation for this game, I look oer my batting skills and determine that I can move three of my batters to the next skill level by using Instant training. So, I do that. I also notice that I can move my 252 skill pitcher's Powr skill from 89 to 90 with instant training as well. So, I do that as well.

The only thing left now it to play the game and at the start of the game I increase all but my pitcher's coverage skill by +3 through boosting and that allows me to still apply the Team Boost of +8 Vision skill. So now effectively I have 226+11 skilled batters against a 267 pitcher.

The game plan is simple. Anytime I have a base runner, I attempt to steal 2nd base and I take that pitch. I knew that all my runners were fast enough to steal 2nd base against their catcher. Now with a runner in scoring position, I begin using the lighting bolt instant boosts. I also begin taking the first pitch because I know that when you are ahead in the count, the game will adjust and throw more strikes making it easier for you to get a hit. Did we win? Here are the results below. YES, boosting can make a difference in the game when you are down by a lot of skill points and it looks impossible.

As per usual WGT has a problem with posting pics here so, the pic (below) that did not display right show a box score and we won the game 10 to 1. We won the Seaon 10 to 4.

????
    Last edited by David M LaBuda; 06-02-2018 at 04:45 PM.

That is amazing ... no seriously amazing how you still cannot download a free app that will take screen shots and let you post here. Lightshot.

Quote Originally Posted by David M LaBuda View Post
    Well, is boosting immoral or unethical?
    The rest was TLDR

Davey - WGT INVENTED boosts - it's part of the game so it cannot possibly be immoral or unethical. I have no idea what else your post said because the topic is pointless.

Now...

If you want to address things that are immoral and unethical, how about we discuss the way you, Andy and I tank our ratings so we can pulverize our opponents every season?

As per usual WGT has a problem with posting pics here so, the pic (below) that did not display right show a box score and we won the game 10 to 1. We won the Seaon 10 to 4.
    lol - as per usual you have taken an incredibly simple task and made it brain surgery. I think you're the only person in the history of WGT unable to comprehend how to post a screen shot. Even Here Comes in the Pain and Wrangler figured it out.

Dang, dude. smh

I got my hopes up nobody would ever post in here again. It was a nice break.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    If you want to address things that are immoral and unethical, how about we discuss the way you, Andy and I tank our ratings so we can pulverize our opponents every season? The rest was ????
    Perhaps that is what YOU do Wizard but ... DUH ... I just told you how I had to boost to beat a tanker. I'm not the one who is tanking.

I just told you how I had to boost to beat a tanker. I'm not the one who is tanking.
    Davey - you're just mad because your opponent is a better tanker than you, lol!

What's that?! Look everyone! Dave says he doesn't tank.

I couldn't type that with a straight face, haha.

I gather you didn't like receiving a taste of your own medicine, huh? That's funny. It's almost as funny as the dozens of times you have posted in here you have me on ignore. It's hell to get old, Dave, your short term memory is definitely kaput. Of course you're a tanker - you have the dubious honor of being the highest seniority tanker in all of WGT, not that there's anything wrong with that - it's the ONLY way to play, in my opinion. There is zero presence in here by Top Golf or WGT, there will never be another update to enhance the game play - so it's time to take matters into our own hands.

I'm surprised you still have bad feelings about me when I'm agreeing with your dubious style of play. I'm only doing the same thing you do, Dave - why the hostility? Maybe you're just naturally angry?

My original point still stands - there's nothing immoral or unethical about boosting - so your post is pointless. WGT created and sells boosts. End of discussion.
    Last edited by Fred Sanford; 06-08-2018 at 06:25 AM. Reason: I think Dave is off his meds again. He also has no clue what TLDR means. What an old fart.

I will make a blanket overgeneralized statement here: Boosting is always bad! Say no to boosting! Simply put, “boosting” is the virtual equivalent of steroids or other performance enhancing drugs and we all know why PED is bad for the game, right?

Right?

(Sigh.)

It is wrong because it artificially raises the expectations of the game. Since it improves the abilities of the players it in turn causes them to perform better and therefore be placed in situations where they cannot naturally compete. In spite of people insisting that they can “handle it” a critical use of a boost could mean the difference between a harder league next time around and an easier one next time around; one that would require multiple boosts the next season and even more the season after that.

Yes you might win a season with boosts, but what have you really won overall?

Remember that people like David have much nastier ways of solving this problem, but that is another topic entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by tzor View Post
    Boosting is always bad! Say no to boosting! Simply put, “boosting” is the virtual equivalent of steroids or other performance enhancing drugs and we all know why PED is bad for the game, right?

Right?
    Well, not exactly. For this, I'm going to ask you to go back in time to 1973. Picture yourself with some mutton-chop sideburns, long hair, and tripping out to The Dark Side of the Moon.

And while we're in 1973, I'd like to take you to a baseball game... let's say in Boston, or the Bronx, or Oakland. You know - American League Parks. What stands out in these parks is that the American League teams have all been given a boost of some sort - a Designated Hitter. It was all perfectly legal and even encouraged. Now imagine that two American League teams are competing and one of them chose not to use the tools - the boost, if you will - that's available to them. Ridiculous, right?

My point is that the boost that is available on this "game" is provided by the game manufacturer whether for good or for bad. It's an option that's available that anyone and everyone is entitled to use. Just as ridiculous as it is to base your season opponents on your team rating, the rules of this so-called game lend themselves to using the tools that are available. If you're not going to use the tools that are available, then you really can't complain because someone else does use them.

But through all of this "discussion", I believe that the larger point has been largely ignored. The question is not whether or not the boosts are ethical. The question is not whether tanking is ethical or not. The question is not even whether or not Dave likes to pretend that this game takes some kind of thought or skill in order to master (it doesn't). The question is whether or not the boosts actually make a difference. And for the most part, they do not.

Here's how to win 90% of your games without boosting: Train 1 or 2 pitchers as high as you can. Train your defense correctly - particularly your catcher with very high throwing. Train every single player to have excessive amounts of speed.
    Single
    Steal
    Steal
    Sac Fly
    1-0 game over. Boosting not necessary.

Davy's over-anaylsis of boosting and stealing is unnecessary. Train speed. There is a 30% differential between stealing 2nd and 3rd. So if you train everyone so that no matter what the opposing catcher's arm is trained at, you have a 75% chance of stealing 3rd, you'll win. every blessed time.

Now, please shave those mutton-chops. they look ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by pman620 View Post
    And while we're in 1973, I'd like to take you to a baseball game... let's say in Boston, or the Bronx, or Oakland. You know - American League Parks. What stands out in these parks is that the American League teams have all been given a boost of some sort - a Designated Hitter. It was all perfectly legal and even encouraged. Now imagine that two American League teams are competing and one of them chose not to use the tools - the boost, if you will - that's available to them. Ridiculous, right?
    The DH rule is not a "boost." The DH is a "rule." There are a lot of "rules" in this game (as opposed to boosts) and I would generally insist you should take advantage of them. Coaches are one such thing and I would never suggest you do otherwise. Making your catcher the thrower from hell is another.

But a "boost" is that you pay a certain amount of money and that one player for one time gets an advantage. Now I can see an argument about using a boost to overcome a specific game flaw (let's face it, the substitution penalties are moronic, you are basically saying that a major league batter who hasn't been on the field during the game will come into the game with skill levels below that of most minor league players and probably you own damn pitcher). Assuming that you don't do substitutions frequently and these come in critical points in the game it seems logical to pay the designers of this game for HAVING A FLAW THAT IS SO STUPIDLY INSANE AS TO WANT YOU TO WALK AWAY FROM THE GAME COMPLETELY.

Having a "boost" war is only going to make the game designers rich. It's not like a rule advantage. Moreover it may not be as effective as you might think, because I think the AI takes that into account and boosts the opposition accordingly, only in that case they don't have to pay for it.

I'm all for training. I'm all for coaches. But as you point out, boosts don't really make a difference and yet cost money. They really are an addiction of sorts that one should never really get into, no matter how much you think "I can handle it."

P.S. My luck tends to be that when I do manage a steal and get to third the next batter hits a home run.

The game is a ****ing joke. A cheat. A lie. A con. If it worked the way it is described to work, there would be little need for boosts.